LAST UPDATED: 30 July 2008
Grace Park: “There’s one episode where everything is explained and I had to read it three times, I had to sit down with [executive producer] Ron Moore and he had to break it down.” (Source)
The final cylon solution is understandably difficult to explain. It’s a complex show full of misdirection and misinterpretation and therefore very confusing. It requires you drop any preconceptions of the show that may have been forced on you and start again from the beginning!
Here I will present a brief overview, followed by the articles you should focus on that delve into the details of how this all fits together.
The Opera House figures and the Final Five are different entities. They are only connected via the Opera House. Once this connection is established, the Opera House figures can appear to the Final Five as head characters in order to communicate.
The cylons, or more specifically the Significant 7 know of the Opera House figures, they call them the Final Five, they aren’t allowed to think of them which leads them to assume they are another 5 cylon models.
The S7 are incorrectly identifying the Final Five. It’s the Opera House figures that are the “real” Final Five. The Opera House figures are responsible for the creation of the S7, they are the original programmers. The S7 and the raiders can only sense the “real” Final Five now that the connection to the human Final Five has been established. This is how they incorrectly identify them.
The Final Five humans + Starbuck are mortal reincarnated forms of Lords of Kobol, the Opera House figures + Maelstrom.Leoben are LOK that reside in the space between life and death. Together these make 12 Lords of Kobol.
The LOK in the space between life and death guide the mortal LOK into completion of Gods plan – the rejuvenation of mankind through a cycle of destruction and rebirth.
Baltar is the fifth of the Final Five, but the cylons are confusing the Final Five humans with the five that they know from their history, therefore it is Head.Six that is the final cylon since she *is* one of the five Opera House figures and it is those figures that guided the creation of the skinjobs – she is one of the ‘lost’ five cylon models.
TWELVE CYLON MODELS
SEVEN ARE KNOWN
FOUR LIVE IN SECRET
ONE WILL BE REVEALED
The four that live in secret are four of the five Opera House figures and not the four cylons revealed at the end of Season 3. Head.Six is the other Opera House figure, she isn’t classed as living in secret since she has been prominent since the mini-series, she will be revealed as the final cylon. If they were talking about the four humans they why not just say ELEVEN ARE KNOWN.
The complete theory is split up into several articles and might not make sense until you have read through them all, but trust me it all works out in the end.
Katee Sackhoff: You know, at first I was a little disappointed. I was like, “Really? That’s what you’re gonna do? Okay…” But then the more I thought about it, I was like, “Oh… this makes so much sense. That’s fantastic!” And I realized that if the fans do what I did, they’ll be happy. If they take it for what it is on camera, they’ll be like, “Excuse me?!” (Source)
If you are wondering why The Space Between Life and Death is called TPBLAD, its to aid comprehension while reading, TSBLAD is rather disruptive to read and just doesn’t have quite the same feel to it, just view it as a word and not an acronym.
- The 12 Lords of Kobol – explains how the LOK are manipulating the colonials and their place in the show as well as how the cylons are misidentifying the Final Five.
- TPBLAD and Time Travel! – explains the nature of TPBLAD and the events in Maelstrom
- The Head.Six Theory – explains how Head.Six is the final cylon and the nature of the Final Five humans.
- Exactly what did D’Anna see in the Temple of Five! – explains how the Final Five are different entities to the Opera House figures.
- The Conception of Hera – explains how Head.Six and Baltar could well be the “literal” parents of Hera and reveals the true meaning behind “Gods new generation”
- The Cylon Confusion – explains how the Lords of Kobol can be named “cylon”
- Constructing the show – the final word on the Head.Six theory as well as some interesting references to the shows construction
Finally you might want to check out…
- What is TPBLAD? – attempts to explain the nature of TPBLAD through numerous examples of its appearance throughout the show
- Speculation – where to next? – attempts to use the Head.Six theory to speculate where the show might go during the remainder of Season 4 and also explain some other unanswered questions
- The Final Cylon Reveal *spoilers* – predicts what might happen regarding the reveal of the final cylon by using interview quotes